Know your IT Guy – Isaac

904744_627165019751_2096720959_o

My name is Isaac Knoflicek and I started as the IT Manger for the Laboratory of Genetics in June of 2013.  Above is a photo of my family from Spring 2013.  My wife’s name is Megan and she’s a senior med tech at the UW Hospital in the HLA Lab.  She’s holding my daughter Arya (1 year old) and I’m holding my daughter Mercedes (4 years old).

I grew up in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin which is about 45 minutes southeast from Madison.  I went to College at Herzing College where I got a bachelor’s degree in technology management.  After college I spend 7 years working at Edgewood College, the first 3 in the help desk, the last 4 as a Systems and Network Administrator.  I left Edgewood to work in the Administrative Information Management Services here at the UW, and after less than a year there I moved into this position.

I’m a fairly prototypical IT guy.  I like books, movie and video games, though since I’ve had children those hobbies have taken a bit of a back seat.

2793_515665006671_2229347_n

The above picture is from the summer of 2009, shortly after my daughter was born.  At the time I weighed over 300 pounds.  Since then I got pretty excited about nutrition.  I follow a variation of the paleo diet called The Perfect Health Diet, which means I don’t eat most grains, legumes, sugars or grass seed oils.  I spend a lot of time on the weekends going to the farmers markets and shopping for fresh local produce and grass fed meats and dairy.  I also do a lot of cooking, I’ve always got a few quarts of homemade bone broth in my fridge and some vegetables fermenting on the counter.

I like to bicycle a lot, here’s a picture of me completing the 2013 Tour De Cure where I raised over $300 to help cure diabetes.

964456_629544166921_1454100843_o

I’m really loving working in the Laboratory of Genetics.  I’d love to learn more about you and the work you do.  Please don’t hesitate to stop by room 1424 to say hi and tell me about you!